Friday, February 25, 2011

Stipend Jobs

I feel like this is pertinent because I'm on library duty.

I'm one of ten stipend students, who all received varying amounts of money from the program, and in exchange we each work ten hours a week. Five hours are with a faculty member (I'm working with Imi, my drawing professor), and the other five are made up by sitting in the library or computer lab and opening and closing the studios.

Everyone gets two keys when they arrive: one to the dorm, and another to your room. But...surprise! Stipend students get like sixteen extra keys. I don't even know what some of them are for; presumably to make us feel more important.

In any case, I haven't had to open or close the studios yet, but I work in the library every Tuesday and Friday. Imi doesn't have much for me to do other than sweep charcoal out of the drawing room, so I've been working with Jacob, one of the program directors. He's frustrated with all the junk that's accumulated on campus over the years, and he spends a lot of time lamenting the lack of American-sized dumpsters. So far we've cleared out the gatehouse near Severini (which included moving a printing press) and the storage rooms in the painting studio. It is SO SATISFYING to organize art studios, plus I keep finding things like half-used pads of newsprint and cans of fixative to use for drawing class.

Ten more minutes of library duty (er, surfing the net).

No comments:

Post a Comment