Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Today in Cortona

Today is Women's Day! I don't know how the tradition started (I heard it had to do with a factory in America that burned down), but women are supposed to go out with their friends and wear yellow flowers called Mimosa. This morning at breakfast, Gino the groundskeeper had put a vase of Mimosa on the table, and he broke off a sprig and gave it to me. Buon dia delle donne!

It's also Carnivale, which we've seen traces of for weeks as kids dress up in costumes and dump paper confetti everywhere. Apparently the tradition for adults is to dress up in costume and go out at night.

Everyone's in a festive mood, but we all have a big art history test tomorrow! I'm trying to memorize slides as fast as I can, because every Tuesday night after dinner two faculty members present their work. It's been really inspiring so far - check out those links in the last post! Here are some of the other professors: Nathan Dube (jewelry/metals), Lauren Gallaspy (ceramics), Robin Dana (photography), Rebecca Ghezzi (printmaking), and Erin McIntosh (art education).

Ok, I think I'm going to go into town soon so I can see the shenanigans before dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment